Job Title: Lifeguard
Reports to: Aquatics Director
Status: Part-Time, Evening and Weekend Shifts
Compensation: $11.00 per hour and FREE YMCA Household Membership
Maintains safe swimming conditions in the pool, deck, and surrounding areas. Creates a safe and positive atmosphere that welcomes and respects all individuals and promotes safety in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures. Builds positive relationships with members and program participants through effective listening and verbal skills and creatively finds ways to connect them to one another and the Y community.
- Maintains constant active surveillance of the pool area and patrons in the facility
- Knows and reviews all emergency procedures and responds to emergency situations immediately to secure safety of patrons in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures
- Provides emergency care and treatment as required until the arrival of emergency medical services
- Knows, understands, and consistently applies safety rules, policies, and guidelines for the pool and aquatic area
- Maintains accurate records as required by the YMCA and/or the state health department code
- Presents professional appearance and attitude at all times and maintains high standard of customer service
- Attends all staff meetings and in-service training
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Minimum age of 16
- Red Cross Lifeguard Certification
- Red Cross CPR/AED and First Aid for Professional Rescuer Certifications
- Ability to work independently and possess energy and enthusiasm
- Ability to positively interact with the general public
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physically perform all skills required of a lifeguard.
- Hear noises and distress signals in the aquatic environment, including in the water and anywhere around the zone of responsibility.
- Remain alert with no lapses of consciousness.
- See and observe all sections of an assigned zone or area of responsibility.