Job Title: Summer Camp Counselor
Reports to: Childcare Director/ Summer Camp Coordinator
Seasonal Position: May – August
Compensation: $9.25 per hour
This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. The summer camp counselor provides direct supervision of a group of children in a seasonal day camp and creates positive, nurturing relationships with children, while building cooperative relationships with parents/caregivers. Camp counselors promote and support the potential of all youth in programs and facilitate peer-to-peer connections as part of the overall camp experience providing a nurturing, fun, dynamic experience focused on the YMCA core values of honesty, respect, responsibility, and caring.
JOB DETAILS AND ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Possess the ability and desire to work with school age children.
- Facilitate morning check-ins and afternoon check-outs, ensuring that parents sign campers in and out each day.
- Supervise groups of children, program spaces, and all activities.
- Lead and participate in all camp activities ensuring staff-camper interaction is achieved during all camp activities, field trips, and aquatic activities.
- Prepare and teach specific skills as they relate to the daily and weekly goals of camp.
- Plan and implement program activities that are culturally relevant, developmentally appropriate and consistent with YMCA values.
- Adheres to program standards including safety and cleanliness standards.
- Attends staff meetings and training. Follows YMCA policies and procedures, including those related to medical and disciplinary situations, child abuse prevention and emergencies.
- Cultivates positive relationships and maintains effective communication with parents, children and other staff.
- Models relationship-building skills in all interactions.
- At least 18 years of age
- High school graduate or equivalent; one year or more of college preferred
- Ability to engage with diverse populations
- Previous experience working with children preferably in a day camp setting
- Able to obtain CPR, First Aid, and AED certifications and complete Child Abuse Prevention, Blood Borne Pathogen, and all other program specific training within 30 days of hire
- Background Check and TB test required
HOW TO APPLY:
Email cover letter and resume to Rachael England: email@example.com.← Back to Jobs