Job Title: Private Swim Instructor
Reports to: Assistant Director- Aquatics
Compensation: $17.00 per hour and FREE YMCA Household Membership
This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. Creates a safe and positive atmosphere that welcomes and respects all individuals and promotes safety in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures. Provides direct leadership, instruction and motivation for students in swimming classes.
- Instructs swimming lessons in accordance with YMCA guidelines, having prepared lesson plans accordingly.
- Builds effective, authentic relationships with students and parents; helps them connect with each other and the YMCA. Encourages parent involvement and identifies potential volunteers.
- Conveys information on aquatics programs and schedules and as appropriate refers students and parents to other programs.
- Maintains records as required (i.e. attendance, progress reports, etc.).
- Attends staff meetings and trainings as scheduled.
- Follows all YMCA policies, rules, regulations and procedures, including emergency and safety procedures.
- Completes incident and accident reports as necessary.
- Organizes and puts away needed class equipment. Reports damaged equipment.
- Trains and supervises class aides as assigned.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Minimum age of 16
- Red Cross Lifeguard Certification Preferred
- Red Cross CPR/AED and First Aid for Professional Rescuer Certifications
- YMCA Swim Instructor certification, or equivalent.
- Ability to work independently and possess energy and enthusiasm
- Ability to positively interact with the general public
- Must be able to demonstrate swim instructor skills in accordance with YMCA standards
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to instruct and observe participants in proper stroke techniques.
- Ability to lift equipment, and to lift a small to average size child.