Job Title: Personal Trainer
Reports to: Sports & Wellness Director
Status: Part Time (up to 29 hours per week)
Compensation: $22 per/hour, plus incentive pay & Free Household YMCA Membership
This position supports the work of the YMCA, a leading nonprofit committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. We are seeking an enthusiastic, skilled, and inspiring personal trainer to join our growing team. In this role, you will be responsible for creating exercise and fitness plans for a wide range of clients. You must have a positive attitude, highly motivated personality, and the ability to encourage clients to reach their fitness goals. The Personal Trainer provides member service that promotes wellness in accordance with YMCA policies and creates a safe, enjoyable, and motivational environment.
- Maintain and actively build clientele for personal training.
- Perform scheduled fitness assessments and equipment orientations for members.
- Effectively communicate proper training and exercise techniques to ensure the safe and effective use of cardiovascular, flexibility, and strength training equipment
- Evaluate client fitness level and skillset to plan reachable goals.
- Demonstrate and encourage correct warm-up and stretching techniques to avoid injury.
- Create a workout plan tailored to client needs and lead clients through exercise routines.
- Educate and monitor client through strength training and weightlifting to ensure safety.
- Chart and track client progress.
- Motivate and encourage client through positive communication while training.
- Adjust client personalized plans as goals are reached.
- Educate a wide range of clients of all ages based on their fitness capabilities.
- Help to maintain a safe, clean, and organized facility.
- Present a professional appearance and attitude at all times and maintain a high standard of member service.
- Attend scheduled staff meetings and training.
- Opportunities for group exercise instruction available.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Personal Training Certification from an NCCA-accredited organization (ACSM, ACE, AFAA, ISSA, NASM, NESTA, NETA, NPTI, NSCA, W.I.T.S) or bachelor’s degree in exercise science or related field required.
- Must have knowledge of physical fitness, kinesiology and physiology as it relates to strength training and overall health and wellness.
- Red Cross CPR/AED certification required.
- Previous personal training experience preferred.
- Ability to have some schedule flexibility to be available to meet client scheduling needs. (This may include some early morning, evening, or weekend hours.)
- Be available and willing to work some fitness floor shifts to build clientele.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Must have positive attitude and ability to encourage and be patient with clients.
- Able to build trusting relationships with clients.
- Able to work with clients who may need specialized attention due to previous injuries or health problems.